About Peter C. Su
Technology Law Partner
Peter C. Su
Silicon Valley Technology Lawyer
Pete is a seasoned Silicon Valley technology lawyer with a global vision in advising technology, energy, and healthcare clients across different regions, with an emphasis in cross-border transactions between Silicon Valley and China. Pete has successfully advised and completed numerous high-stakes cross-border intellectual property litigation, commercial litigation, corporate transactions, patent office litigation, patent portfolio strategy development, and patent prosecution. He was formerly a partner in the Palo Alto office of Dentons LLP.
His work has encompassed cloud computing, search engines, smartphone
technologies, artificial intelligence, robotics, drones, autonomous vehicles,
solar energy, stem cells, and healthcare.
Pete has represented leading U.S., Chinese, and European technology, energy, and life science companies and venture funds for the past 15 years. The following are among the clients he has represented:
- Varian Medical Systems
- Bright Oceans Corporation
- BOE Technologies
- GCL New Energy
- JA Solar
- Sequoia Capital
- J.D., Syracuse University College of Law, Dean’s List
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, San Jose State University; Tau Beta Pi, Eta Kappa Nu
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, San Diego State University
Featured in 2018 Edition of “IAM (Intellectual Asset Management) Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Professionals”.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- California State Bar
- Washington State Bar
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Bar
- Confidential Chinese Client. Conducting a comprehensive analysis of the Waymo LLC v. Uber Technologies, Inc. litigation in assessing the trade secrets, patents, employment, civil litigation, arbitration, regulatory, and criminal investigation risks involving autonomous vehicles technologies and providing corresponding recommendations.
- Finisar Corp. v. Nistica, Inc. (N.D. Cal.). Representing Nistica, a subsidiary of Fujikura, Ltd., in a six-patent infringement lawsuit between competitors Finisar Corp. and Nistica involving wavelength selective switches (WSS) and reconfigurable optical add-drop multiplexer (ROADM), micro electronic mechanical system (MEMS) mirrors and liquid crystal on silicon (LCOS) technology for optical switching.
- Confidential Japanese Multinational (Fed. Cir.). Represented the defendant in defense of patent infringement involving electronic gaming console.
- SunPower. Represented SunPower against AUO in an ICC’s International Court of Arbitration in resolving patent infringement allegations and a joint venture dispute.
- Halo Electronics v. Bel Fuse (N.D. Cal.). Represented the plaintiff in a patent infringement litigation involving power transformers.
- Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson v. TCL Communication Technlogy Holdings, Ltd. et al. (Russia). Representing MediaTek as a third party in the patent infringement litigation on a wireless modem-baseband chipset.
- Techno Licensing LLC v. Tait North America, Inc. (E.D. Tx.). Represented defendant on a patent infringement allegation over a two-way radio wireless communication platform.
- RFJ Licensing, LLC v. Tait Radio, Inc. (N.D.Tx.). Represented defendant on a patent infringement allegation over a two-way radio wireless communication platform.
- The Board of Trustees of the Leland Stanford Junior University v. Chiang Fang Chi-yi et al. (N.D. Cal.). Representing one of the heirs of Chiang Kai-Shek on an interpleader action to resolve diaries and deposits held at Hoover Institution.
- Hemlock Semiconductor Ptd. Ld. v. JA Solar Technology Yangzhou Co. Ltd (N.Y. Sup. Ct.). Represented defendant on a long-term supply contract dispute with take or pay provisions.
- Hemlock Semiconductor Ptd. Ld. v. Jinglong Industry and Commerce Group Co., Ltd. (N.Y. Sup. Ct.). Representing defendant on a long-term supply contract dispute with take or pay provisions.
- Lenovo. Conducted industrywide smartphone patent litigation risk analysis in the US, Japan and Europe across major players and key enabling technologies.
- Personalized User Model, LLP v. Google, Inc. (D. Del.). Represented plaintiff in a parallel patent infringement district court and PTAB actions involving personalized Internet search technology.
- Shared Medical Resources, LLC & CDX Diagnostics, Inc. v. Histologics LLC (C.D.Ca.). Represented defendant Histologics LLC in patent infringement litigation between competitor medical device companies involving minimally invasive biopsy products.
- Actel Corporation v. QuickLogic Corporation (N.D. Cal.). Represented the defendant in a patent infringement litigation involving antifuse field programmable gate arrays.
- Akamai Technologies, Inc. and Massachusetts Institute of Technology v. Speedera Networks, Inc. (D. Mass.). Represented the defendant in a patent infringement action involving an Internet content delivery service.
- Atmel Corporation v. Information Storage Devices, Inc. (Fed. Cir.). Represented the defendant in patent infringement litigation involving a voice recorder chip.
- Bright Oceans Corporation in an asset acquisition of a Nasdaq-listed public company, StemCells, Inc.
- Confidential Chinese conglomerate in a cross-border investment of autonomous vehicles in a Silicon Valley company.
- Zhejiang DunAn in a cross-border acquisition of a Silicon Valley technology company developing sensors.
- Moley Robotics in setting up a worldwide corporate structure.
- BOE Technologies in conducting due diligence on Nanosys Inc.
- BOE Technologies in conducting due diligence on Qeexo, Co.
- GCL New Energy in conducting due diligence on project finance of photovoltaic plants.
- Scalefast in negotiating and completing Series A financing.
- “How Trade Wars Affect Overseas Investment,” Global Capital Summit, Spring 2018, Palo Alto Hills Golf & Country Club, Palo Alto, 3 May 2018
- “Cross-border commercial litigation and transactions,” China’s Case Guidance System and Belt & Road Initiative: Practice Insights and Prospects,” Stanford Center at Peking University, Beijing, China, 30 March 2018
- “Start Globally with Early Stage Capital,” Global Capital Summit, Fall 2017, Menlo Park, 21 September 2017
- “IP and IPO: Dentons International Experience and Insights,” Shenzhen Lawyers Association,” Shenzhen, China, 13 September 2017
- “Significance of China Cases in Cross-Border Disputes in US Litigation,” China Guiding Cases Project of Stanford Law School, Stanford, 31 July 2017
- Moderator, “Institutional, Pension and Sovereign Fund Investment Trends in Silicon Valley,” Global Capital Summit 2017, Palo Alto, 6 April 2017
- “Best Practices in Negotiating Software Contracts,” The Knowledge Group/The Knowledge Congress Live Webcast Series, 21 February 2017
- “USPTO Roundtable 2 Exploring the Legal Contours of Patentable Subject Matter Eligibility,” Paul Brest Hall, Stanford University, 5 December 2016
- “Patent Strategies to Strike Back Following the Alice Storm’ Aftermath LIVE Webcast,” The Knowledge Group/The Knowledge Congress Live Webcast Series, 11 August 2016
- “The Art of the Start 2.0 – Guy Kawasaki and Pitch at SAP,” SAP, Palo Alto, California, 27 October, 2015
- Speaker, Seoul National University, “Business of IP,” Seoul, South Korea, 23 April 2015
- Tencent Holdings, “Patent Landscape Analysis and IP Due Diligence,” Shenzhen, China, June 4, 2014
- Speaker, Nakamura & Partners, “Patent Office Litigation: Inter Partes Review,” Tokyo, June 10, 2013
- Speaker, HTC, “Patent Office Litigation: Inter Partes Review,” Taipei, Taiwan, June 7, 2013
- Speaker, Liu, Shen & Associates, “Patentable Subject Matter after CLS Bank v. Alice,” Beijing, China, May 30, 2013
- Speaker, “Silicon Valley Innovation Ecosystem and Culture,” Cisco China 21C Government Leader Program, Hyatt Regency Hotel, Santa Clara, CA, Sept. 5, 2012
- Moderator, “Dialogue with Deputy Chief Khan and Director Colarulli about the USPTO Silicon Valley Regional Patent Office,” SNR Denton, Palo Alto, CA, Aug. 7, 2012
- Moderator, “The Role of Chinese Law and Policy in Promoting Chinese Innovation,” Second Annual China Law and Policy Conference, Stanford Law School, May 5, 2012
- Speaker, “US Patent Litigation and Strategies in the ITC and the District Courts,” Baidu, Beijing, China, March 2012